HISTORICAL BACKGROUND TO GLENROY:
Trodden by the first white men to pass the Blue Mountains.
On the site of the first Military Establishment West of the Blue Mountains.
Overlooking the crossing of the Cox's River by the Old Bathurst Road.
Governor Macquarie and Lady Macquarie both camped on the Camping Grounds in 1815.
The Camping Grounds have always been open for public use since the crossing of the Blue Mountains in 1813.
There is a monument on the property commemorating the 'first' Divine Service held in the Blue Mountains.
There are old graves dating back to 1832.
When at Cox’s River, Governor Macquarie recorded in his diary the holding there of Divine service on
April 30, 1815
During their visit to the “New Discovered Country” in April-May, 1815, Governor and Mrs. Macquarie camped twice on the ground at Glenroy.
Glenroy Bridge, opened in 1901. The site of the military depot of Macquarie’s day is out of view to the left.
The military depot at Cox’s River as French visitors saw it in 1819. Notice the granite stepping stones, and at the right one of the little rapids characteristic of the river.
Near the site of the military depot at Cox’s River is the grave of the baby daughter of the colour sergeant there in 1831
Many people attended the commemorative service at Glenroy on May 2, 1936.
(Photo by C. Price Conigrave.)
To see a full history of Glenroy and Cox's River By W.L. Havard and B.T. Dowd - Issued by the Blaxland Shire Council
phone 02 6355 2186 : mob 0400 637 384 : mob 0408 637 387
For more information and Bookings
PLEASE PHONE -
Brad and Rosemary Barber
(02) 6355 2186
or 0400 637 384
or 0408 637 387
200 Jenolan Caves Road, Hartley NSW 2790
Web site Design & Creation
Central West, Blue Mountains NSW